Tuesday, January 17, 2012

the house that built me

My parents sold their home...


It's extremely bittersweet. I remember everything about that home. 

The day we picked the lot to build it on.
Going with my dad every week to see the progress that was made while it was being built.
Moving in on November 17, 2001 
using the living room as a temporary bedroom while my dad finished building the basement on his own
having a bathroom in my room!
opening the garage door on Christmas morning one year to find a brand new car for me
falling in love for the first time
and sneaking out of my window to be with him on the weekends but making sure to be home before my parents woke up.
working my first job
graduating high school and starting college
every holiday!
developing a love for watching sports on tv
learning to play the piano
flooding the basement (oops)
suffering from my first broken heart
living just a few houses away from my grandparents
growing up!
I have so many memories in that house and am so sad that I'll never step foot in it again! I'm excited for my parents though. They are always wanting to go bigger and better. They are building their dream home now!! With a pool :)
It makes me so thankful for owning my own home. It's such a joy to make a house a home and do whatever you want to it. My home is definitely a fixer upper but it is such a good starter home! I can't wait to see what new house they build this time!

3 comments:

  1. That song makes me tear up everytime:-( And I didn't even really feel that way about any house because we moved to much. I am glad you have at least one picture and lots of great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post makes me feel so sentimental. I couldn't imagine if my parents sold their home. All my memories encompass around there. And we are SO cut from the same cloth- I used to sneak out to go see the guy I loved and make it back by dawn, too. I think I have to go call my parents now- this one really gets me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, that is so sweet :) Sounds like you had some great great memories in that home :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!! :)